Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bear Cove Trail --- First Hike

A drop dead beautiful fall day here in the wonderful upstate of South Carolina. Why would anyone want to live any place else? December 2, 2010 is going to be declared as the first hike on these new knees of mine. I am a month early, but every muscle in this body is screaming for me to get off my lazy butt and put the new joints to the test. So now it has been done.
WOW! am I glad that I went hiking, it felt great! It was great putting on my hiking boots and bending over to tie them, all the little things that we take for granted, I am starting to be able to do again.  Those of you who have had the knee replacement surgery can understand what I am talking about. Slipping on my day pack and fastening the buckles, back to normal. My comfortable and well worn trekking poles are next, so I slide my hands through the straps and gripe the handles, a perfect fit!   Lets go hiking- Gracie is ready, I am ready, Lets go!
Sign at Trail Head
 This trail is located at Devils Fork State Park.http://www.sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS/Hiking/Upcountry/BearCove.htm This link tells about the trail and I will try to link to the appropriate web pages as we go along.
http://southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1355.aspx This link tells about the Park and how to get there.
We start down the trail and the adventure begins.
Bridge over small creek.  Place for dog to drink!


White blaze on tree marks trail. Trail is well marked. Good family hike.
The one place you could get lost is well marked. This is well into the hike.
We hike the trail going up and down, but nothing to steep to climb or to go down. The weak knees would rather go up a hill then down. Around to the right and then around to the left, just a very typical trail through the woods. A good starter hike for beginners and those beginning again.
 Lake Jocassee
This is what you see during the hike!

You will come to a bench and an information board when you get here, you have arrived! Take time to walk down to the lake shore and gaze out across Lake Jocassee. Every way you look is a good look. 
The lake is about 15ft. low,someone had fun.

Go ahead and sit down and take a short break. Eat the snack and drink some water, even if you don't think you need it. You and those with you will feel better and the last part of the hike will be as fun as the the first part. Just because you aren't sweating doesn't mean  that you are not losing water. Always take water and if you want a sport drink of some kind take that too. No need to get in a hurry, relax and enjoy the great outdoors God has given to us.

After you finish your hike, write down the date and location. If you are like me you will forget otherwise.

Back soon.





Turtle

                                                                                  












No comments: