Friday, December 17, 2010

What do I really need to hike?

Good question!  As a experienced hiker I say you don't NEED much.  You may want much and the store sales person may try to sale you much, but you don't need much. You need smart! and necessary!


I can't  say enough times carry water with you and drink it as you hike. How does one carry water? you ask. So I answer, in a container. We really don't want to carry a water bottle in our hand, so now we need something to carry the bottle in.  You see where this is headed? How does one carry the thing that is carrying the bottle? A fanny pack or a day pack works very well. The shape of my body demands a day pack, the fanny pack just slides down my butt and looks like a bag hanging behind the carriage horses in downtown Charleston,SC. We all know what they are for!! My day pack is a well worn pack, the North Face brand. Most all of my gear is the North Face brand, It has served me well for the past ten years.  The pack I use has two compartments, the big opening is used for everything and the other one has room for two Nalgene one quart water bottles.If I mention the brand names it is because these brands have never failed in all of my travels. I am recommending them as a good buy.

Back to what do I need? A day pack. A water bottle.Snacks.

Simple! Do the granola bar thing, it works.  You are taking a day hike not a camping trip, when you stop for water eat a bar and keep up your strength. Take any snack you like and do what works best for you. If you eat the wrong foods you'll know it, next time take the granola bars. I just dump the whole box of bars into my day pack, different brands and different flavors. Living on the edge!

I carry a green bag in side my day pack, and in it is toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and wet wipes-unscented!  If you are scratching your head wondering what the green bag is for, maybe you should stay near the bath house.

Also have a red bag with matches, lighter, and flint fire starter doohickey.  Carry a small duraflame firestart log, because it will start a fire for ya. Have not gotten lost yet and have not had to use these in an emergency, for which I am grateful! I practice Leave No Trace. I do not need a fire on day hikes and very seldom if ever start one over night,http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php  Do all you can to keep the woodlands, and meadows,and streams, and rivers, etc. as natural as you find them. And for goodness sake, carry your trash out and take it home. The trash picker-upper people need to keep their jobs. You are helping the economy! Goodness! Why can't people just do what is right?

Go ahead and take a camera, take lots of pictures. Pictures of each other and pictures of trees and rocks and water falls and streams and animals and leaves and the trail and crooked trees and boulders and more trees and more rocks and everything new and exciting. The out doors is a wonderful place, enjoy it! " One can always delete what one does not want!" said a wise man.

A day pack, a water bottle, snacks, green bag, red bag, camera.

Shoes/boots for wear on the trail. If you are just beginning to hike, just wear what you have. Not dress shoes or high heels or sandals, if this is the footwear of choice-stay near the bathhouse! Don't spend a lot of money until you fall in love with the hiking experience. Now when you are ready to put some money into this lifestyle go to an outdoor store and get the helpful sales people to fit good  hiking footwear to your feet. Many different kinds to choose from, get a pro to help you find yours.

I love my Leki trekking poles, they helped me hike back when my knees were painful with  arthritis. They are with me every time I go into the woods. My hiking experience is increased 100% by using  these trekking poles. If you are hiking, use trekking poles. Lots of different brand names, lots of different choices, use the sales people to help you get what you need.

Now I must confess, I don't carry a first aid kit! Have never had to use one and just never put one together.Do not have a good reason, just one of those things" I have never got around to doing." I would say number 538 thing" I have not got around to doing," but should have.You probably should get one and carry it with you, you might need it!

Day pack. Water bottle. Snacks. Green Bag.  Red Bag.  Camera. Shoes/Boots. Trekking Poles. First aid Kit.

Hike with this get-up a couple of times and see how that works out for you. Add gear as needed, just keep it simple. Remember, we are taking a day hike not a backpacking trip, that is a horse of a different color.
When I take the first backpacking trip on these new knees we will see what color that horse is..

Back soon.

Turtle

No comments: