Monday, December 26, 2011

December 2011

Chattooga River

Sorry can't remember name of falls!

Chattooga River
         

          December has been a slow month, but a good month. Seems as if we've gotten a lot of rain and gray skies, something that we really needed. The lake levels are coming back up to full pond and the creeks and streams are flowing at a steady clip. We were out at the Chestnut Ridge Heritage Preserve a couple of days ago and the small stream which flows by the trail was full. It talks when there is enough water to loosen up her vocal cords.Well, really sounds like a happy baby being bathed in the kitchen sink with all the gurgling and splashing going on. The sun was shining and an easy breeze was coasting around the naked trees. We could see through the woods, saw several rock formations that we hadn't seen before. The hills aren't quite Mts. yet, but still a good muscle stretching hike.  The first part of the month we went to the Chattooga river during a steady rain and I was once again impressed with the power fast moving water generates. Gracie would step into the water  [ she is a yellow lab-therefore she will get in any and all nearby water  ] I would say " You better get out of there, I'm not coming in after you!" She just looked at me and kept on swimming. She never was swept away!
           These pictures were taken in April when the river was not as wild. I know it will be hard to believe,but I forgot to take my camera with me. Used my cell phone to take pictures, but could not download them to my computer. Even took some video, but could not download it either. I have- new camera, new computer, and maybe even some training on how to be more electronically savvy on my list for this year of 2012. None of that will do me any good if I don't take a camera with me.

          Hope to get out more this year! "Hiking is good for the soul"  I said that, it really is true. If all you can do is walk around your neighborhood- then do that! It will be good for what ails ya!

          In the woods or on the water,

          Turtle

No comments: