Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fork Mountain Trail

Trees in trail
          When opportunity knocks you have to open the door. It's best to stand back as the door opens, one never knows what will be on the other side. So, with those words of wisdom- we begin. A few weeks ago I saw a notice tacked at a trail head sign, the US Forest Service was asking for volunteers to help do trail maintenance. I took a picture of the e-mail address went home and sent an e-mail asking that my name be put on the list. Yes, they responded and when opportunity knocked, I volunteered. It was a good day. Snow was falling at the trail head, sun was shining and a very cold wind was blowing. Fifteen people showed up, four Govt. workers and eleven hiker people trying to give a little back to the hiking community. We were in the Ellicott Rock Wilderness Area on the Fork Mountain Trail, I did not know that  motors of any kind were banned from all designated  Wilderness areas. The two trees in the picture were cut with a crosscut saw powered by two men [sometimes women ]  easy to see why chainsaws were made! A total of four trees were cut, and small brush and branches were removed from the trail. We cleared 8.6 miles of trail, it was a good days work Meant new people and had a good hike. The snow showers would come and go all day while the sun kept right on shining. I'll help out again when I am able. It is always good to see what goes on behind the scenes.

          Hiked the Sulphur Springs Trail at Paris Mountain State Park Friday, good trail to hike as I begin this Weight Watchers diet Monday morning. All I will say about that- at this time! 

          In the woods or on the water,

           Turtle





No comments: