Thursday, December 27, 2012

New viewing platform on Sassafras Mountain!

The old overlook on Sassafras Mountain 
The new Sassafras Mountain Overlook
Different View
Another View
          OK!!!   I'll tell you right up front that I don't like this new viewing platform!

          It is not pleasing to the eye! Ugly!! When I got out of my car my first thought was this looks like it was made out of old railroad ties cut down to the size of regular lumber. Creosote soaked lumber used for a viewing platform? Of course I am wrong, it is painted black and does not fit in with the beauty of Sassafras Mountain. Why not stain it a pretty oak finish so it is more appealing to the eye? Let's have the natural wood finish blend in with the surrounding trees and fallen leaves, might be hard to do seems how they cut trees down! I understand these were Graduate students who designed and built this overlook, come on people - it is a rectangle, where is your creativity? Give it some angles and a half circle at the end. The viewing platform does not have the WOW! factor. Give it the WOW! factor to go along with the overwhelming view I see when I stand on this viewing platform! What's up with the sky blue rails? do they really add to the experience? No I didn't feel like I was standing out in space, there is a big rock sticking out directly under the front of the platform. Maybe you could have extended it out another ten feet!



End of platform, don't look down.
          OK!  I'm done expressing my opinion, it is scary to think that the state  is going to build a four story tower on top of this, the highest mountain in SC. How is that going to look and is it needed? Will it blend in with the beauty of this mountain range or will it be one big eyesore for all to see? Only time will tell.

          I'll keep hiking the Foothills Trail and loving these Upstate Mountains and I'll keeping wondering why nature and the natural way of things can't just be left alone. Myself, and I'm sure several other hikers were looking at the view off of Sassafras Mountain long before the first viewing platform was built, we just made our way to the edge and the view was there!
Sunset from Sassafras Mountain


          In the woods or on the water,



          Turtle
         



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Turtle,

great blog! Thanks for posting. However I must disagree with your opinion. Looks aside, I think the design of the new platform is highly intelligent. Based on "A Kit of Parts"from my understanding the platform was pre-designed, engineered and fabricated off site and then reassembled on top of the mountain. One must also consider safety as well as budget and we all know curves always seem drive that price up. As far as aesthetics, the platform may seem a bit alien to its surrounding at first glance but if you look at how the smoky blue handrail transitions into the blue ridge mtns beyond and visit the platform in colder months "no leaves on the trees" you can begin to see how the platform feels right at home. Give it a chance!!
One Love, your neighbor from the Tetons