Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Sandwiches

          Sometimes before we go hiking, I will eat a PBS as my breakfast and protein source to give me the get up and go I need to get up and go! Not all the time, just some of the time. Do not eat a biscuit from any fast food restaurant, it will sit on your stomach and talk all about the discomfort it is causing you as you sweat and hurt two miles into the hike. The one and only time I did eat a nice greasy steak biscuit and the yummy hash rounds, I washed them down with a Dr. Pepper and a satisfying burp! Two miles latter I ended up on my hands and knees with my head under a rhododendron  bush back washing the biscuit, the steak, and each golden brown hash round. Dr. Pepper didn't come out through my nose, but still burned as it flowed the wrong way in a one way pipe. Gracie, concerned about my welfare stuck her nose- bulls eye in my backside! Preoccupied as I was, that was totally unexpected and rather shocking. Gurgling through the half digested steak biscuit, rounds and Dr.P- I  screeched like an old mother hen collecting her brood when danger is near! Falling forward, my head and hat hit the trunk of the bush and fell off- no, not my head! Slowly toppling over to my right gave Gracie enough room to squeeze next to me and eat the  remains of one steak biscuit, several hash rounds, and burning stomach acid! I crawled out from under the bush, got to my feet, cleaned up and then had a good hike.

          Talking about PBS's at work, a co-worker said how he used two slices of bread and spread the peanut butter between them. I have never made a PBS that way, nor do I remember ever eating one made like that. We always used one slice of bread, spread peanut butter on half and folded the bread over. Only way to make one and for sure the only way to eat one! I remember my Mother standing at the head of the table making PBS one at a time and tossing them to her growing children. We were like baby birds in a snug nest, just our beaks sticking up waiting for food. You would eat PBS with canned fruit, maybe peaches in heavy syrup,or fruit cocktail, sometimes even canned pears. Today I love PBS and canned fruit. Drink a cold glass of milk and call it a meal!

          Now I just told how to eat a PBS when using store bought loaf bread, using Ma's homemade bread is a whole different production. Ma was a stay at home Mom when she wasn't driving one of us kids someplace, which was often! She baked a mean loaf of bread. [ that sentence can stand alone-no one will dare refute it ]  She also passed her baking skills on to her daughters and grand-daughters; they are good, but not as good as Ma. I would never tell them that, they may not give me any bread! I better not forget the daughter-in laws, my wife included, they also are excellent bread bakers. Ma has been gone six years now and her baking skills will continue to be talked about and followed for many generations to come. Just one of her many virtues!  Another thing I will always remember is listening to her try to tell a funny story, we would all be laughing so hard we would cry, because she was laughing so hard she couldn't even begin to start the story. She would say one or two words and laugh and the rest of us would just roll out of our chairs with  tears streaming down our cheeks. Don't get her together with her siblings and relatives and friends of her generation, what a mess of old people laughing and crying with us younger generation not having a clue what they were talking about, just laughing and crying right along with them.--- Think Morley Reunion---We've heard some stories more than a dozen times and hoot and carry on like they've never been told.  Many good times around the big dining room table in Honea Path; laughing, story telling and enjoying the company of family. Ma loved her family. The eight children, their spouses, and all the grand- children and great-grand- children. She even loved the old man she was married to for over fifty years. Now that is a long time!

          Back to PBS!  You take a loaf of home made bread and let it cool. After it cools you get a bread knife and cut a slice about 3/4 of an inch thick. Add Peter Pan smooth peanut butter by digging as much peanut butter out of the jar as you can with a normal size table knife. Spread this thickly all over the slice, use two knife fulls if necessary to get the 1/2 in. thickness required. Now squeeze Sue Bee honey all over the peanut butter and take knife and combine the two together so it doesn't drip off of the bread. Get a glass of milk ready and keep the milk jug near by, you will need another glass sooner. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
One slice is never enough, two is good, but three slices will always hit the spot. Repeat the next day and savor the experience, you won't be allowed to do it again for a month or more.

Memory's are sweet,
God is Good!

 Turtle



                

No comments: