Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bald Knob

Huge open rock outcrop on side of Pinnacle Mt. 

           This was my long weekend off from work and I spent it well! Thursday was overcast and  dreary so I stayed home and did pretty much nothing useful. - Don't even have guilt feelings about it! - Friday had been predicted to be a spectacular beautiful day and it was every bit of that. I grabbed Friday by the belt loops, it jumped and jerked, twisted and turned, but I owned it and claimed it as my personal "Happy Happy Happy"! My plan was to hike to the bald rock on Pinnacle Mt. and enjoy the impressive view. Did that, but didn't do it! You're confused? Me too! Got to bald rock and see this sign - Bald Knob! I say, OK, bald knob it is. Don't remember seeing this sign during previous visits to this side of the mountain, but who knows?  Pinnacle Mt. is the highest mountain in SC at 3415 feet, well the highest mountain that is completely within the boundaries of the state of South Carolina. Sassafras Mt. is higher at 3553 feet, but part of this mountain is located in North Carolina. I know this is also confusing, so to simplify things - Sassafras Mt. is the highest point in SC! I hiked up Pinnacle Mt., but did not go to the top, I stopped at Bald Knob!! It would have been a very steep elevation of 566 more feet to peak out.


       




Views from Bald Knob!

          These views are facing southward, the Pinnacle Mt. peak is at my back. A beautiful view from any direction!
           
          This was done the middle of January. OK, now I have so-so caught up and my next blog can be fresh. Have taken many hikes this year, just haven't recorded them.


          Turtle




























No comments: