Saturday, January 22, 2011

Work--Weather--Woods

My goodness I never thought it would be so inconvenient to have a full time job!  I'm not complaining, because I have a good job and need a job, it just has gotten in the way of having a good time. It is hard to go hiking when duty calls at work. Work is going well, my knees are not suffering from walking on the hard floors. The work physical therapy is still on going, don't know how much longer I will have to do it. I consider it a necessary evil! When I am through with that program happiness will reign!

Was all set to go hiking Jan.10, when we had the snow storm of the year [I HOPE] !  Received 7 3/8 inches on the back deck and I assume as much all over the rest of the neighborhood. I did walk around the streets just to be noisy and see how our small world was faring, snowed in! Missed two days of work- could not get out of neighborhood-went to work the third day and did not like driving on the icy roads! Went the very long way to work just to miss the unploughed roads. Better safe then sorry!   [ My spell check says that is how you spell a road that has not been plowed--doesn't look right to me! but I'll go with it. After all I am the one sitting in an unheated basement wearing three shirts and a hat typing on a keyboard with a drippy nose and fuzzy slippers while drinking a cup of lukewarm tea. When I could be upstairs napping on the couch where it is warm. ]  Where was I? That's right-driving to work. So, the weather was a set back to my hiking, my little truck does not travel well on the icy mountain roads headed to the foothills of SC.

But!! This week has been a good week! Hike, walk, hike.  Thursday, the Gracie and I went to the Chestnut Ridge Heritage Preserve and hiked the 2.75 mile trail to the South Pacolet River and back! For a total of 5.5mile hike. That's the longest we hiked since the new knees were installed.Took four hours, but who was counting, we stopped and took pictures of rocks and trees and river. It was a beautiful day to be in the woods. Friday, walked for a mile and a half on the Furman Univ. track. Then again today hiked on the Chestnut Ridge trail with my wife and Gracie. We went to the first set of steps, turned around and returned to the truck. About 2 miles. If the weather is good this week will have several chances to hike or walk and still show up for work.

Later,

Turtle

No comments: