Monday, March 5, 2012

Sassafras to Pinnacle



          Sorry that you missed a great hike! Feb.28,2012 Gracie and I hiked fourteen miles and had a wonderful time, we were so tired at the end of the day that our tails were actually dragging in the dirt. Well, her tail was dragging and I was dragging one trekking pole and than the other. Took some good pictures and made memories.[Always remember how tired we were!] We got to the top of Sassafras [3,554 ft. highest mtn. in SC] about eight in the morning, one other car was in the parking area. First thing to do is walk over to the Lookout and gander across the beautiful mountains, I always enjoy mountain views.  Put the hiking shoes on my big feet, threw the day pack on my back, grabbed the two trekking poles, called Gracie and we were off! Not a care is this big ole world, a whole day to wander in the woods and see what we could see. Our first stop was the old homesite of John L. Cantrell. He was one of the earliest settlers in this area. Not much left, a couple chimney foundations and seats made of rocks. Some clever people, I assume young people have made seats by stacking stones with arm rests and backs around fire pits. I have sat in these seats and they don't collapse with my weight, the first time I sat I expected to end up on the ground. They did a good job  After a quick break we were off like a shot-yeah right. The goal was to get to the big rock outcrop on the side of Pinnacle Mtn. and look out over the country side, then climb to the top of Pinnacle. [3,425 ft.] This is a strenuous hike, but doable for experienced hikers, don't make it your first hike.

Rock seats
Chimney foundations
Small rock seats
                There is this small waterfall off to the right, a side trail down to the looksee point and then further up the trail you cross the creek itself. This is a super good spot to sit and relax under the canopy of limbs.                                                                    
Water fall

Creek flowing on rock

The two stones mark the trail.

           Keep on hiking and you go between and around a bunch of big boulders, these are huge. 


See trail on left.

More boulders.

All the gray in the background is more rock!
           My son would hike with me and say, "All we see are rocks, stones, and trees." Not true, but I knew what he meant. Bear with me now, we are about to see a tree stump- this will be exciting ! Here goes--------                                              


Have you ever??
           Looking off the bald rock on Pinnacle Mtn.. This is another wonderful view for those willing to climb the Mtn. A trail also comes here from the Table Rock State Park, it is not as long, but is a strenuous hike. Pinnacle Mtn. Trail is what they call it for obvious reasons. Have hiked this trail before and it will work those leg muscles. The view is your reward!!

Awesome
Look real hard and you can see houses and roads.

Looking toward Table Rock.
Gracie, my dear friend.

Trekking poles at rest!
          We stayed on the rock for an hour resting up for the climb to the top. We had to go there so we could honestly say we topped off the hike, I know that was bad!  You will have to trust us when we say we are at the top there is no survey marker marking the spot.                                              

Top of Pinnacle Mtn.

          Now all we had to do was go back to the truck. On the way back I took a picture off of the other side of the mountain.

 The mountains just keep rolling along!

          One more picture and then I'll end this post, it was getting late as we left behind the Foothills Trail, Gracie was helped into the truck and I removed all my hiking gear. As I slipped my Crocs on I glanced to the west toward the Lookout and saw the sun begin to set. No more needs to be said!

Sunset from Sassafras!

          The woods or the water,

          Turtle





No comments: