Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ellicott Rock Wilderness -- Fork Mountain Trail

 









Respect all Wilderness Areas









Trail is in both states.
















          It is the right thing to do! Four days of rain, a good steady rain that we fervently needed permeated the trails and elevated the water levels in all the creeks and streams. The Chattooga River stampeded down her river bed in an angry boil of white water and ever changing currents, smashing into rocks and diving over  submerged tree trunks and decaying stumps. I stood in amazement watching  the display of power! The hike down the mountain was commonplace, a walk in the woods. The  challenge of stooping under, going over,or edging  around the tangle of downfall  branches blocking the trail occurred four different times. I was able to keep moving and made good time. Only one stream was wide and deep enough to cause me to stop and stare and watch as two other  hikers decided how best to cross the stream. They tossed stones into the water and tried to build up the creek bed enough so they could walk across without getting water in their hiking shoes. They both were Boy Scout leaders, but they were not prepared! I, on the other hand was never in the Scouts, but I was prepared and had on my waterproof LL Bean hunting boots which walked me right over the water and onto the other side. There was nothing I could do to help so I continued on down the trail. Later, we crossed paths again and they told me that they took off their shoes and waded across the creek.

          The Fork Mtn. Trail ended when it merged with the Chattooga River Trail which followed the river and connected with the Foothills Trail in the Burrells Ford area. In other words get out your Foothills Trail map, start at Sloan Bridge Access, hike down the Fork Mtn Trail, turn left on the Chattooga Trail, turn left on the Foothills Trail and you will arrive back at your car which is patiently   waiting at the Sloan Bridge Access. A really simple-don't get lost hike if you know where you are going.  Now I'm going to get out of chronological order and tell the story of three novice backpackers I met about three miles from the end of my second day of hiking. I know that I'm looking pretty rough, have backpacked seventeen miles and camped out one night, my legs are tired and my body is tired. I'm not complaining just setting the stage for my encounter with The Three!
Me looking rough!
          I've hiked back up Fork Mtn. and am slowly traveling along the Foothills Trail when I see something coming toward me. I stop and lean on the trekking poles, puzzled at what I am seeing! Ah!! hikers, no not hikers, but backpackers! Three of them! When I first saw them they were in single file, but coming around a bend so I was seeing three heads, but one wide body and a big backpack! They stopped and looked me over, I smiled and said,

          Hi!

          Hi! three times

          How ya'll doin'?

          OK

          Wher're ya'll goin'?

          We don't know.

           Do you know where you are?

          No, we saw a guy a while ago and he didn't know where he was either. We're hunting for the Foothills Trail. Do you hike here often?

          Yes, I'm from down near TR.

          Where's that? --  Not my first clue these boys didn't know what they were doing, but that confirmed it.

          TR is not to far from here. Do ya'll have a map?

          No.

          Let me give you a map and show you where you are.  --  They look at each other and say

          Sure, that would be great!

          I take my backpack off and pull out the map of the Foothills Trail. I very carefully show them where they are and how to circle up and around ending back at their car. The reverse of my hike.  I tell them where the campsites are along the river and one of them says what they came to see was Ellicott Rock. I ask him if he knows what is important about Ellicott Rock and he does, it is where GA, NC, and SC meet.  The Rock is beside the trail and we easily can see the three state junction on the map.

         Each one has on an internal frame backpack and at least three other things strapped on the outside of their packs. One has a six man Coleman tent riding on the top of his pack. I didn't ask what else they had, they are young and strong. Some where in the course of our conversation I asked where they were from and they proudly answered, Columbia, we go to the Univ. of South Carolina! Being a Clemson fan, I immediately asked that they give me back my map!  [ Just kidding!] That did explain a lot, college kids need more than just book learnin'! They single file walked pass me on down the trail, to I'm sure a new adventure, I watched them pass and the third one had a football strapped on the back of his pack. I loudly and hilariously remarked, "A football!" They laughed and disappeared into the unknown. When I got to the trailhead and parking area I saw a Subaru with a Univ. of SC sticker on the back window and a Connecticut State license plate on the bumper. Not only USC students, but also Yankees!! Put your own adjective before Yankees.


          Now where was I before I got side tracked? Oh yes! I'm hiking down the Fork Mtn. trail and am enjoying the hike. I end up at the Chattooga River and take a break at the wide open camping area near the river.

Chattooga River
       




           


       
Camping Area




  























          A thirty minute snack break is enough and I continue on down the trail, the famous Ellicott Rock is close by, I take a picture of the sign and move along.

One Rock ahead!
          The trail is wet in spots and muddy and slick, a large number of roots and mossy stones to step on and around. My pace has slowed even more then normal, I'm careful not to slip and lean heavily on my trusty trekking poles. I come to a wide creek, about ten feet across and eighteen to twenty-four inches deep, I remove my Bean boots and boldly, no timidly cross wearing heavy smart wool socks which get heavier with each step. The water is cold for only a second, then my feet are numb and I feel nothing. Upon reaching the other side I sit and remove sodden socks replacing them with dry warm socks, thankful that I have brought four pair for such an occasion as this!
Sock Foot Crossing
          The remainder of the hike to Burrells Ford was uneventful, still careful sections of trail near river.
Bridge over the East Fork

Chattooga River in a hurry.
          The trail is nice, flat, and wide after crossing the East Fork plenty of good places to camp.

The water is pooling on the rock, a small stone is holding the leaf in place and the water is spouting out of the pool! I don't know if a human placed the leaf there or if it just happened? Either way--Awesome!!
         At campsite setting up for the night. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Tent

Rainfly

Deflated Pad

Aired up

Sleeping bag

Sleeping bag
Pillow

Pillow

Ready for bed!
          Cold night, but kept warm in bag and tent. Started out at 8:30AM next morning, first part of hike was all up hill with plenty of switchbacks. When I got to the top I stopped for a few minutes and had a snack break on top of the mountain. I could see through the naked winter trees down hill in all four directions. It is an inexpressible and therefore an unspeakable experience  for me to summarize my feelings when I stand on the top of a mountain, so I am silent! Quiet, I feel the quiet, no wind hiding and seeking around the trees. No birds singing, all bugs are hiding in their winter homes, just me and my thoughts. Why I had this thought I will never know - "It is as quiet as the three seconds after the preacher's boy farts in church!" Now that is quiet!

          Continuing on my way I stop and talk to The Three and then make my way to the parking area. All is well, so I put my trekking poles and backpack into the car and drive myself home. A good two day backpacking trip. If you live in the Upstate of SC do this trip, you will enjoy it!



          In the woods or on the water,

          Turtle






No comments: